Hey guys!! It’s a general truth that next to jollof rice the next big thing in Ghana is our beloved waakye. A meal full of goodness that consists of a unique blend of both beans and rice that fills you up so well.
If you haven’t tried waakye before you are missing out on some deliciousness in your life. Here’s a recipe you can try out at home just in case the waakye seller disappoints or you just want some homemade goodness of waakye.
You would need
- 1. 2 cups of white rice
- 1 cup of cowpea beans or red beans
- 2 millet stalks
- Beef, Cow foot, Cow skin (wele)
- Tomatoes, Onions, Ginger, Garlic, Kpapkashito
- Vegetable oil
- Maggi cubes, Beef season, Salt or other seasoning of choice
Procedure for waakye
- Remove unwanted particles and wash beans and soak beans overnight to reduce the cooking time.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan with enough water.
- Wash millet stalks quickly and add to the boiling beans.
- Wash rice, drain water and remove the millet stalks before adding the rice to the beans when its cooked. Add salt and stir, leave to cook whiles frequently checking to ensure desired texture .
Procedure for Waakye Stew
- Wash all meat to be used, season with a blended mix of garlic, ginger, and onion, salt, magi cube, other preferred seasoning as desired then cook. Adjust seasoning to taste .
- Blend tomatoes and kpakposhito, blend garlic, ginger and onion also and put aside
- Put oil in saucepan and add chopped onions and fry, add blended garlic, ginger and onion mixture and fry till the onion turns golden brown.
- add blended tomatoes and kapkpashito, stir and allow to cook for like 30 mins.
- 5.Add the steamed meat with stock to the stew and allow to cook fro abot 10 minutes.
- Add salt, maggi, or seasoning as desired and allow to cook till desired dark brown color is reached. Check your salt .
- Serve stew with cooked waakye, spaghetti and stewed gari (optional) but recommended.
- Enjoy loves!